Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So you know I'm from San Antonio, right? Well, here's a few sites I've found that make me feel good and miss my hometown.

1. Keep San Antonio Lame - Great site with stories and links about how SA is lame. It should make me mad, but I kinda like it.

2. Deadmalls.com - Interesting site with stories on malls of yore. The only one from San Antonio is Windsor Park Mall, the mall that got me through puberty. I had my first kiss there with Jackie Dumlao. I remember where I was, too: on the second floor walking in front of Finish Line, and we were with her friend (I forgot who, though).

3. Windsor Mall video - Neat video about a girl looking for shopping in Windsor Park Mall, which is now a ghost town. Kind of sad, really.

4. Modsnap.com - A kind of web magazine about different happenings in the lives of real San Antonians. Interesting stuff about art and photography. I wish there were more shoots around SA landmarks, but the other stuff is refreshing, too.

5. My San Antonio - Joint site by the Express-News and KENS-TV. It's the official site of the E-N, but I think it should be more comprehensive and easy to use. Oh well, at least you get to read about the Spurs.

Speaking of San Antonio, did you know they're talking about building toll roads there? Actually, that's a good thing. I like toll roads, and I think that since now I'm in Houston, I am very thankful for the tollways, especially the new Westpark Tollway. But in San Antonio, you might as well tell the citizens that David Robinson is a satanist, rather than tell them that toll roads are the only way they're getting new roads. But damn, do they need it! I mean, have you driven there lately? I've been there for summers and holidays visiting home for the past 10 years, and I'm amazed at the traffic changes over that time. WOW! SA needs about 5 new thruways/freeways in key areas, namely:

1. I-35 South (Downtown to Loop 410)

2. Loop 1604 North (from I-10 East to US 90 West): at least 4 lanes both ways! Come on, developers, couldn't you have helped out a bit when you built all those neighborhoods north of the loop?

3. I-35 North (Downtown to Randolph Blvd.): ESPECIALLY the 35/410W interchange. Whomever conceived that design ought to have his/her eyes washed out with jalapeno juice.

4. US 281 North (Downtown to 1604): DUH! And how about making a real interchange at 281/410 near the airport?

Hope this makes things better, but they'll all have to be toll roads. It's only fair that we pay for the roads we use.

"But wait," you say, "You live in Houston, Cristian!" That I do, friends. But I think transportation issues are hyper-important for everyone in the state. Everyone must be able to get around. I go to Dallas and am amazed at the maze you must drive to go from Lewisville to the Ballpark at Arlington, or the big clusterf*** in Fort Worth at 820/121 or 820/I35N. Hell, try going through Austin on either I-35 or MoPac in the afternoon. I dare you. No one likes going to places where traffic sucks. At least here in Houston the mayor has put traffic as his #1 priority, and so far, he's doing a good job. Let's hope everyone else in the state has their head on straight, too.

Let's see, what else? I'm now teaching lessons at Taylor HS in Katy, thanks to my good friend Chris Bailey. He's hooked me up with a few lessons on Thursdays, and hopefully he'll get me some more. Until then, I'll still be holed up at the house Tuesdays and Wednesdays with nothing to do except be a good househusband. I don't mind so much anymore, since Jen likes the fact that I'm home when she gets home and have dinner waiting in a clean house. Talk about a role reversal, huh? But I'm ok with that. I know she still loves me.

Well, that's all for now. I'll post some more pix from our Chicago trip immediately. Peace!

1 Comments:

At Wed Jan 18, 02:33:00 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, this is just a bit of a clarification. The "Keep San Antonio Lame" slogan is not meant to infuriate, but as a phrase of endearment! It's an apt rebuttal, in a sense, to the Austinite mantra of "Keep Austin Weird."
Because they're a bunch of weirdos. And we're not. We're a bunch of lame-os. :-) I'll take lame over those crazy weirdo hippies any day ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home