Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Back home

Sorry it's been a while. I just got back Sunday from San Antonio (my hometown!), site of the TMEA Convention. That's Texas Music Educators Association. It was fun seeing a lot of old college friends and fellow teachers. Plus, the drinking part is fun, too.

We stayed in the Hotel Valencia, the same hotel we stayed at on our wedding night. We got a good rate on the TMEA site for only $150/nite. We had a friend of Jen's stay, Jennifer. They were roommates a few times in college, and we have fun together. So that helped offset the costs a bit.

We got there Wednesday around 1pm, picked up Brett and ate lunch at La Posada del Rey in Alamo Heights (a local favorite), away from the tourists. I hate eating downtown, especially on the river, 'cause the food is too expensive for the crappy quality you get. ESPECIALLY MEXICAN FOOD. Nobody ever listens to me about that. So what happens is everybody's too tired to walk a bit, so we all end up going to the River for lunch, then they all complain about it, and I'm mad because no one listens to me. Then the whole day is ruined until we all go out to an expensive bar downtown and get drunk. Then they're hungry and the only place open at 2am is Mi Tierra, which also sucks but it's open. Then they complain. I hate it. I wish we all had our cars and we could go to good places, like Chris Madrid's or Alamo Cafe or Janitzio's or La Fogata, etc. But no one listens to me. Oh well. It's fun, anyway.

The convention itself was okay, but the scheduling was weird. Too many clinics that had overlapping subjects, like two percussion clinics at the same time, or three beginning band things at the same time. And then they have three hours of stuff that no one goes to, so we walk the exhibit hall and see concerts. Not bad, but I wish the scheduler would do a better job. But oh well.

So I was in SA for five days, and it was fun. Had a bunch of Mexican food, drank too much and walked a bunch. Plus I got a cold there. I didn't bring a heavy coat, and I got sick. I'm still nursing it. I'll tell you, those cold medicines don't work very well. I got that Tylenol Cold Daytime/Nighttime, and I don't feel much better. I'll try something else next time.

That's all. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home